This Vegan Chickpea Parmesan isn’t my first attempt at a chickpea-style cutlet (nor will it be my last), but it is now one of my favorites! This one is beyond simple and has fewer ingredients than my Crispy Chickpea Cutlets, but it also has a chewier texture that I loved. My non-vegan mom devoured the entire thing, so I guess it was good 🙂
I am curious about testing vital wheat gluten in this recipe in the near future for crispy chickpea strips. It was so incredibly close to being what I was looking for, but I think the gluten would merely push it over the top. For today’s recipe and for a gluten free option, use a 1:1 gluten free all purpose flour if you’d like.
In the bowl of a food processor, I added 1 cup of drained and rinsed chickpeas, about 1/4 c of onion, tapioca (or potato) starch. Bob’s Red Mill brand is gluten free. I also used all purpose flour and Italian seasoning with a dash of salt.
Pulse until it forms a ball. It should be slightly sticky and hold together well. If it’s simply too wet to handle, add more flour.
I divided the dough into four equal pieces and roughly shaped them. No two will look alike and they aren’t supposed to.
Damp hands also help in forming the cutlets. I created a couple of flax “eggs” which I dipped the cutlets in, followed with a coating in bread crumbs. Again, if you are aiming for a gluten free option, be sure the bread crumbs are as well.
In a nonstick skillet with a small amount of oil, pan fry each side until golden. Resist the urge to over handle or flip more than once. They will firm up as they cook and even more after removing from the pan.
I topped with a fresh tomato sauce and shredded vegan mozzarella. Serve with a baked potato and broccoli florets. Lastly, garnish with lemon wedges and if desired, a sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes.
If chickpea patties are your kind of thing, you might also be interested in these Veggie Nuggets with Vegan Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce over on my sister site, The Veg Life!
Did you make these Vegan Chickpea Parmesan? Let me know in the comments section below.
If you liked this recipe, PIN IT FOR LATER!
Vegan Chickpea Parmesan
FOR THE CHICKPEA MIXTURE:
- 1 c Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp Tapioca or Potato Starch
- 4 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning or, to taste
- 1/3 c Onion
- Salt to taste
- 1-1/2 tbsp Ground Flax PLUS 4-1/2 tbsp WATER
OIL FOR PAN FRYING
- Tomato Sauce
- Broccoli, Potato or other vegetables
- Vegan Mozzarella style shreds
- In the bowl of a food processor, add all of the ingredients and pulse until it forms a ball. It should be sticky, but manageable. If it seems too wet, add more flour.
- Preheat a large non stick saute pan over medium high heat.
- Create a dredging station and form the patties, then place into the flax "egg" mixture and finally, into breadcrumbs. Avoid over handling and proceed directly to the pan for frying.
- Cook on the first side until golden. Flip once and repeat. They will firm up as they cook and after they are removed from the pan.
- Serve with tomato sauce, vegan mozzarella shreds and a side of baked potato and/or broccoli florets.