These Vegan Golden Beet Burgers just became a new favorite! Leftover cooked beets turned into the most flavorful burgers with vegan mayonnaise, heirloom tomatoes and avocado slices. You could serve them with boring old fries, but I went with my childhood favorite, extra crispy tater tots!
My Whole Foods always has the most stunning selection of beets and while I momentarily contemplated red beets, it has been done. A lot. But golden beet burgers? That’s something special, right? 😉
Of course, you can definitely use the traditional red beets. I just can’t be bothered with the mess of all that red beet juice. Wear latex-free gloves, it makes a huge difference in the clean up!
This “recipe” came together kind of on the spur of the moment. I knew I was going to add onions, brown rice and chickpeas. I used flax “eggs” as my binder. But it was still a bit too wet, so I went with oats and a bit of panko breadcrumbs.
Season with salt, pepper, dry mustard (trust me on this one) and freshly chopped Italian parsley.
I allowed the mixture to sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes before forming so the dry ingredients could absorb some of the moisture.
I placed the mixture into large ring molds (link below) and firmly pressed with a juice glass. Using a spatula to transfer them to the pan and then removed the ring mold to maintain shape.
Allow that first side to cook until golden before the flip or you will have a mess on your hands.
It firms up and will continue to do so after you remove it from the pan. Looking good, right?
I absolutely love the texture in this burger and it was so good with the avocado and vegan mayonnaise. I am into the Hellman’s VEGAN. It was a dead ringer for the old Hellman’s/Best Foods brand I used to know and love before becoming vegan.
A pinch of sea salt finishes this burger off perfectly!
Did you make these Vegan Golden Beet Burgers? Let me know in the comments section below.
If you liked this recipe, PIN IT FOR LATER!
*Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. Clicking on them does not affect your purchase price, it just means we get a very small percentage that assists in keeping Living Vegan! creating new recipes for you each week.
Vegan Golden Beet Burgers
- 1 c Golden Beets diced
- 1/2 c Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 c Cooked Brown Rice
- 1/2 c Oats
- 1/4 c Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 c Onion diced
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax PLUS 6 Tbl WATER (equals 2 flax "eggs")
- 2 tbsp Italian Parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp Ground Mustard Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Garlic Powder (or minced garlic) to taste
- Oil for pan frying
- Rolls, Vegan Mayo, Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado, etc.
- Prepare 2 flax "eggs' by combining 2 tbsp ground flax with 6 tbsp of water. Allow to sit until thick and gelatinous.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the onion and chickpeas. Pulse about 5 times. No more than that. Remove to a large bowl.
- Diced the beets and add them to your bowl along with the remaining ingredients, including the 2 flax "eggs" you prepared earlier. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add 1-2 tsp of oil.
- Using a ring mold, cookie cutter, etc. form your patty taking care to really compress it into shape. I used a spatula to transfer to the pan and THEN removed the ring.
- Pan fry for a few minutes or until the bottom is golden brown (see photo above) and firmer. Carefully flip just once. Cook until golden and remove to a paper towel. It will continue to firm as it sits.
- Serve on a roll with vegan mayo, lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc.