When the folks at D’Vash Date Nectar sent me a bottle of their product and I was trying to think of what I could create with it. You might have seen my Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream sweetened with this stuff! On the savory side of things, my first thought was Vegan Barbecue Baked Beans.
The date nectar can be used literally anywhere you would use molasses (very similar consistency) and in any dish or smoothie you’d like to sweeten. Made with organic California dates, the nectar is non-GMO, fat-free, gluten-free and of course, vegan.
The wonderful folks at D’Vash Organics have sent me a coupon code for you to use if you’d like to try the date nectar. Simply use the code DVASH_LIVINGVEGAN when checking out to get 15% off of your order*
In another small bowl, combine water and cornstarch.
In a small sauce pan, combine the barbecue sauce, apple juice, mustard, Worcestershire, date nectar and brown sugar.
Saute onions until translucent, add beans and your sauce. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
In an oven-safe dish, bake until bubbly and a bit caramelized around the edges.
Did you make this recipe for Vegan Barbecue Baked Beans? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Vegan Barbecue Baked Beans
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/4 c Onion sliced
- 15 oz. Can of Pinto Beans WITH LIQUID
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 C Vegan Ketchup
- 1/4 C Vegan Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Date Nectar
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Dry Mustard Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- pinch Pepper
- dash Garlic Powder
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the onions until translucent.
- Combine water with the cornstarch in a small bowl and stir until dissolved. Stir this mixture into the onions and add the beans.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to this mixture and stir until well incorporated. Cook for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Cover the dish and bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and caramelized around the edges.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes after removing from the oven prior to serving.
- This recipe can easily be doubled. Makes about four 1/2 Cup servings.