This Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole is so flavorful and delicious, you won’t believe just how quickly it comes together! For years, I have been trying to perfect what has traditionally been one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes. This time, it was spot on and the funny part? I was over-complicating it in the past. Sometimes simple really is best.
I decided to use fresh, whole beans but you certainly use cut beans in your casserole. I just love these and buy them whenever I see them in my market.
I sauteed onions in a bit of vegan margarine (I prefer it to oil in this dish, but you can also saute in a bit of broth) and added freshly sliced mushrooms. These baby bellas are my personal favorite.
I deglazed the pan with just a splash of white wine, cooking until the alcohol evaporates.
Next up is a rich and flavorful vegetable broth. In a measuring cup, I take 1 cup of the broth and combine it with my flour using a whisk. Doing it this way assures you will have no lumps in the final mixture. Add to the mushroom mixture along with the remaining broth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Finally, a vegan creamer, coconut cream, even almond milk. Allow to cook and reduce a bit.
If you stop here, you’ll have the most flavorful and delicious Cream of Mushroom Soup which was recently featured over on my sister site, The Veg Life!
Toss the soup mixture with your green beans and place into an 8×8 pan that you have prepared with cooking spray.
I have yet to find a french fried onion made WITH any non-vegan ingredient, however you need to read the label as some are made on the same machines as other products containing milk. If you have an allergy, or if this an issue for you, considering making your own! They are super simple to make. Otherwise, try store brands, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Sprouts, etc.
Did you make this recipe for Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And, if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- 2 tsp Vegan Margarine
- 12 oz. Sliced Mushrooms (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 c Onion chopped
- 1/3 c PLUS 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 14-16 oz. Vegetable Broth
- 1 lb. Green Beans you can also used canned
- French Fried Onions
- 1 c Coconut Milk Cashew Cream, Vegan Creamer or Almond Milk, you can even make a white sauce using flour and almond milk
- splash White Wine OPTIONAL
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, saute onion in vegan margarine.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the white wine (just a splash) and allow to cook until all of the alcohol has evaporated and add the sliced mushrooms.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and one cup of vegetable broth until smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture.
- Immediately add remaining vegetable broth, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and stir in cream of choice.
- Simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the soup mixture with the green beans and place into an 8"x8" pan that you have prepared with cooking spray. I personally like to add some of the crispy French Fried Onions in with the onions as well as use them for a topping, but I'll leave that up to you 🙂
- Top with the crispy French Fried Onions and bake until golden and bubbly.