This recipe for Panko Roasted Asparagus is a really unique and fun twist on your favorite vegetable! Brushed with a mixture of vegan mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and lemon juice, which also serves as the dipping sauce, the asparagus gets coated in panko bread crumbs and toasted until golden. So delicious!
Here’s what you’ll need. Vegan mayonnaise is readily available in most grocery or specialty stores. You can also find it on Amazon.com.
How do I make Panko Roasted Asparagus?
Snap the asparagus to remove the tough end. Trim the rest to match. Depending on the size and thickness of your asparagus, you may opt to use a vegetable peeler to peel the lower half of the spears.
Whisk together the vegan mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and lemon juice. Reserve about half of the mixture for dipping later on.
A pastry brush makes quick work of coating the asparagus with this mixture.
Transfer and roll in panko breadcrumbs.
Using tongs, transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet and place into a pre-heated oven set at 375 degrees. I’ve tried this recipe at a higher temperature, but the breadcrumbs toast too quickly, leaving the asparagus not fully cooked. Flip halfway through when the breadcrumbs start to get golden.
The tips get a bit crisper and those are my favorite parts! Dip into the reserved vegan mayonnaise mixutre.
This was one bunch, or about a pound, of asparagus and should easily feed about 4 people as a side or appetizer.
Looking for more asparagus recipes? Why not try these yummy options:
or take a look at these recipes on our sister site:
Did you make my recipe for Panko Roasted Asparagus? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. And if you enjoyed the recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER 🙂
Panko Roasted Asparagus
- 1 bunch Asparagus (about a pound) washed, dried, trimmed and shaved, if desired
- 1/2 c Vegan Mayonnaise I really love the Hellman's Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1/4 c Dijon-style Mustard
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 c Panko Breadcrumbs
- Olive Oil Spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the asparagus.
- Whisk together the vegan mayonnaise/mustard sauce, RESERVE HALF FOR LATER.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the asparagus spears and place into panko breadcrumbs. Cover completely.
- Placed panko-coated spears onto a foil-lined baking sheet and bake, flipping halfway through, for about 20 minutes or so. Keep an eye on the coating so it doesn't get too brown. Adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Serve with the reserved mayonnaise/mustard sauce.