These Vegan Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies are so simple to make and are the perfect vegan treat! I’ll give you a few ingredient swaps throughout the recipe and most of the items will already be in your pantry. So let’s get started!
This is an oatmeal-based recipe and I am using old fashioned oats. I just think they work the best in baking. To that, I added all purpose flour (you could use whole grain flour or something similar). Baking powder and salt round out the “dry” ingredients. Salt is as important in baking as it is in cooking, it really brings out and accentuates the flavor.
A word about egg replacement options in this recipe…
Now if you are vegetarian, you would typically use an egg here but we are keeping it vegan. This recipe is also a bit smaller in volume, so you’d be using only half an egg (or egg substitute). That, in and of itself, is a challenge. I’m using a flax “egg”. That is, a half tablespoon (1-1/2 teaspoons) of ground flax to 1-1/2 tablespoons of water. Allow that to sit and thicken. Alternately, you could use 2 tbsp of unsweetened applesauce.
Add oil, vanilla extract and honey. If you do not consume honey (many vegans don’t), substitute with sugar. The measurement does not change. I almost prefer it with traditional sugar, honey gives a milder taste. Lately, there are several vegan “honey” products on the market and you can search and order directly from Amazon.com for those options!
To these cookies, I added ginger. Ginger is very strong, so be sure to use a small amount of it. I used 1/8 teaspoon.
Grated carrot is our star ingredient.
Along with chopped walnuts. If you have a nut allergy or just don’t like them, leave them out. It’s totally fine.
Using a small cookie scoop, I place the mounds onto parchment paper.
Using the bottom of a juice glass sprayed with cooking spray, flatten slightly.
The result is a beautiful, chewy and dense Vegan Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookie. I really think you are going to like them!
Did you make this recipe for my Vegan Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. And, if you enjoyed the recipe, consider PINNING it for later! 🙂
Vegan Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 c Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/3 c PLUS 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 c Walnuts finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Flax PLUS 1 1/2 tbsp water, allow to sit and thicken
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/3 c Honey, Maple Syrup or SUGAR I increased this from 1/4 c due to feedback that it needed to be "sweeter" 🙂
- 1/2 c Carrots grated
- 1/8 tsp Ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment or a silicone liner.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place mounds onto prepared sheet pan and using a small glass sprayed with cooking spray, flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the bottoms are golden. Allow to cool on the pan before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.