This recipe for Asparagus in Cream Sauce was soooo good, I will definitely be making it again and again! I used my favorite canned coconut milk to create the creamy sauce and it was delicious.
Don’t forget the garlic bread, because you will definitely want to mop up some of that yummy sauce! 🙂
The first step is to choose uniformly sized asparagus. I tend to prefer a thinner spear as they are generally more tender. Snap off the end of one, which will show you where the woody end begins. Then align all of them and using a knife, trim the spears.
In a saute pan over medium high heat, add vegan margarine, olive oil and a large shallot that you have minced finely.
While the shallot is softening, add minced garlic and olive oil in a small bowl. Give it a whisk to combine.
Slice your favorite baguette into about 1″ thick slices.
Brush both sides of the bread with the garlic oil and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until golden on one side and flipping so both sides are even.
To the softened shallot mixture, add the asparagus and cook until crisp tender. This should take about 20 minutes or so.
Add 1 tablespoon of flour and give it a stir for one minute to cook out that raw flour taste.
Next, add the vegetable broth…
And 1 cup of canned coconut milk.
Season with salt…
and a generous amount of pepper.
Bring the cream sauce to a boil and stir occasionally until thickened.
Isn’t it pretty?
You have a few options with this recipe. I’ve done it with a splash of white wine to the shallot cooking stage, allow the alcohol to evaporate. It totally changes the taste of the final dish.
Additionally, feel free to season with your favorite herbs. Today, I kept it simple with fresh parsley and a sprinkle of paprika for garnish.
Did you make this recipe for Asparagus in Cream Sauce? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed the recipe, hover over the image below and click to PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Asparagus in Cream Sauce
FOR THE ASPARAGUS:
- 1 bunch Asparagus about 1 to 1-1/2 pounds, ends trimmed and cut into thirds
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 1 large Shallot minced
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 c Canned Coconut Milk shake the can before opening
- 3/4 c Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- Paprika for garnish
FOR THE GARLIC TOAST:
- 1 loaf Baguette sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1/8 c Olive Oil
- Wash, trim and cut asparagus into thirds. Set aside.
- In a saute pan, add vegan margarine, olive oil and minced shallots. Saute for a few minutes until tender.
- Add the asparagus and cook until crisp tender. Then add one tablespoon of flour, stirring to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Add chopped parsley and paprika for garnish. Serve with garlic toast.
FOR THE GARLIC TOAST:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, add olive oil to minced garlic whisking to combine.
- Slice baguette into 1" pieces and brush each side with garlic oil mixture.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake until golden, about 10-15 minutes, flipping if necessary for an even toast.