This Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream Recipe is so incredibly simple to make! For depth of flavor, I roasted the strawberries and rhubarb with the sugar. Then blend together with a can of full fat coconut milk and freeze the soft serve ice cream until firm enough to scoop. Let me show you how I made it!
Be sure to pick fresh, ripe strawberries. Remove the leaves and wash thoroughly.
Rhubarb, when it’s in season, is plentiful and easy to find. I have actually found a really good frozen alternative already cut and cleaned at Whole Foods. If that’s all you can find, you can rest assured that it’s picked and frozen at the peak of freshness so don’t let that deter you from making this recipe!
Cut the fruit, toss with the granulated sugar and place in a baking dish. DO NOT COVER. This will boil over if covered. In fact, I highly recommend placing a baking sheet on the rack underneath this one just in case. A deeper baking dish will eliminate this issue.
After it’s baked and cooled slightly, you can see all of that liquid and we want all of that goodness!
Shake a can of coconut milk and be sure to use the full fat variety. Add to a blender along with the cooled fruit mixture, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, just a pinch of salt and blend until smooth.
The only challenging part of this recipe is remembering to freeze the bowl of your ice cream maker the night before. I say that because I literally forget. Every single time.
The ice cream maker will incorporate air and churn it as it gently freezes.
I find that mine only really gets it to a soft serve consistency and it’s at this point I like to transfer it to a loaf pan to freeze a bit more.
There is a sweet spot with this process where the ice cream will be perfectly scoop-able and say, the next day (when it’s hard as a rock and you need to let it thaw a bit to scoop it). Which is fine.
I found these little waffle cone bowls for serving and also garnished with more fresh strawberries. A sprig of mint (if you have it) would be nice as well. I told you it was simple!
You might also like:
Did you make my Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream Recipe? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
And if you enjoyed the recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream Recipe
- Ice Cream Maker
- 2 c Strawberries Leaves removed, washed, dried and cut in half
- 1 c Rhubarb Trimmed, washed, dried and cut into 1" pieces
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 13.5 oz Canned Coconut Milk
- pinch Salt
- squeeze Lemon Juice
- THE NIGHT BEFORE, place the bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add prepared strawberries and rhubarb to a baking dish. Be sure it's large enough so there is no risk of boil over (see blog post for notes on this).
- Toss with the sugar and roast until tender, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add to a blender along with a can of coconut milk that you have shaken, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- Place into the frozen ice cream maker and process for about 20 minutes. This should yield a soft serve ice cream.
- While it's completely edible at this stage, you'll want to place it into a loaf pan and freeze for a few more hours if you'd like to scoop it. As it sits in the freezer, it will become very hard. Say if you leave it overnight. Just thaw for a bit and scoop as per usual.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and/or mint leaves. Waffle bowl optional, but sooo delicious 🙂