I’m always looking for new ways to make veggie patties and these Hearts of Palm Cakes with chickpeas turned out amazingly well! I’m pairing my cakes with a traditional tartar sauce. Let’s get started!
What exactly are Hearts of Palm?
Hearts of Palm are actually a vegetable harvested from the inner core and growing bud of certain palm trees. They look like white asparagus, remind me personally of a mild artichoke and are rich in fiber, potassium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, copper, vitamins B2, B6, and C.
You’ll find them in the canned section either whole or pre-chopped for salads. Either will work here as we are adding ours to the food processor.
I give them a quick slice to get started and add to the processor along with half a can of chickpeas that I’ve drained and rinsed.
To that, add panko bread crumbs and reserve the rest for coating the cakes once we’ve formed them.
I’ve added green onions (also known as scallions) and celery.
Most recipes will use eggs as a binder, but did you know that vegan mayonnaise works equally as well?
For my seasoning, I’m using Old Bay, but feel free to use your favorite blend. Or create your own!
A little bit of lemon juice to wake up the flavors.
Season with salt…
Lastly, grainy mustard. You can also use something like Dijon here.
Give everything a good mix.
Using a cookie scoop, I form them into equal portions.
Then, I coat them with the remaining panko bread crumbs. Form them into patties AFTER rolling into the bread crumbs. Trust me, this makes your life so much simpler.
Mine took about 5-6 minutes per side to become golden and firm. I would say to err on the side of longer so they are fully cooked through.
Drain any excess oil on a paper towel. They’ll also continue to firm up a bit as they sit.
I’m serving with a prepared tartar sauce, but you could use just about anything here. If you like spice, how about a Sriracha Mayonnaise?
Garnish with the reserved green onions, lemon wedges and a sprig of fresh parsley.
Did you make this recipe for my Hearts of Palm Cakes? If so, leave me a comment and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Hearts of Palm Cakes
- 14 oz Can of Hearts of Palm either whole or chopped are fine, drained
- 7.5 oz Can of Chickpeas drained (this is half of a standard can)
- 1 c Panko Breadcrumbs DIVIDED
- 1/4 c Green Onions (Scallions) sliced
- 1/4 c Celery diced
- 1 tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning more or less to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Grainy Mustard or Dijon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- Neutral Oil for cooking
- Mixed Greens
- Lemon Wedges
- 1 tbsp Green Onions (Scallions) sliced
- Tartar Sauce
- Place drained chickpeas and hearts of palm into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until coarse and add 1/2 cup of the panko breadcrumbs.
- Remove mixture to a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Using an ice cream or cookie scoop, form uniform portions and place into more of the panko breadcrumbs. Roll around and then using your hands, form into patties.
- Preheat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add oil and the patties. Cook on the first side until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Flip and repeat.
- Remove to paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve over mixed greens with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.