I absolutely love these Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars! I was looking around the house for ingredients I might have on hand such as, canned pumpkin, mini (vegan) chocolate chips and of course, oatmeal. Such an easy, but tasty, dessert! I call them “bars” but they are very moist and almost cake-like in texture.
The dry mixture consists of old fashioned oats, flour, baking soda, salt and my favorite fall spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice.
To the bowl of an electric mixer, I added vegan margarine that had been softened, sugar, brown sugar, a flax “egg”, pure vanilla extract and of course, the pumpkin puree. Combine the two mixtures and fold in the mini chocolate chips. These chips are by Enjoy Life, a vegan brand.
I line an 8″x8″ pan with parchment. I also use a light spray on the edges to ensure easy removal. I find the easiest way to deal with such a sticky batter is damp fingers pressing it evenly in the pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted just comes clean. Over baking will give you a dry cake and we want this moist, so keep a close eye on it as it bakes.
Allow to cool slightly before removing from the pan and cut into squares. For serving, consider a vegan whipped cream or even served warm with a vegan vanilla bean ice cream. If you really want to get fancy, you could plate them with a drizzle of a chocolate sauce.
Just look how moist these are! I couldn’t resist taking a bite of the warm pumpkin square. So yummy 🙂
Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
- 3/4 c Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- pinch Allspice
- 1/4 c PLUS 2 Tbl Vegan Margarine softened
- 3/4 c Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Ground Flax PLUS 3 Tbsp Water allow to sit for 10 minutes
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla
- 4 oz (about 1/4 of a 15-ounce can) Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 c Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Lightly spray an 8"x8" baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice along with the old fashioned oats.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer cream together vegan margarine and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the flax "egg", vanilla and pumpkin, mixing until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread in an even layer in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out just clean. Cool IN THE PAN on a wire rack.
- Remove from the pan and cut into 9-12 bars.