We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, click here.
Okay guys, I would like to introduce you to my new go-to biscuit! These Vegan Southern Style Biscuits & Gravy made it into my personal top 10 personal favorite recipes that I have ever created on both this, and my sister site, The Veg Life! That’s saying a LOT.
But I didn’t stop at just these amazingly large and fluffy buttermilk biscuits. I found a vegan sausage that I added to a traditional southern style peppery gravy. Oh-my-gosh. I just fell in love 🙂
The best part about this recipe is that it’s not only delicious, but it’s super easy! Flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt are combined with vegan margarine and vegetable shortening until it looks like coarse crumbs.
I use a pastry cutter, but if you don’t have one, you can just use clean hands. Work quickly though, you want the ingredients cold.
And here is where the “buttermilk” comes in. Did you know that you can add 2 Tbl of vinegar to a measuring cup and then, fill with almond milk to the 1 cup measure, allow to sit for 10 minutes… and you have vegan buttermilk?
This gets combined with the flour mixture. You can already see how it’s bubbling and reacting with the baking powder & soda.
On a lightly floured surface, you’ll add the dough (it’s very sticky at this point). Pat it just until it comes together, using as little bench flour as required to get it to cooperate as you fold it over onto itself a few times.
Press into a 1″ thick round and using a large biscuit cutter, cut as many as you can. Re-form the dough, working it as little as possible until the cutting is complete.
The method of placing the biscuits close together really does help them rise nice and tall. I only made a few today, but this recipe makes 6 large biscuits.
I didn’t brush the tops with anything, just bake until they rise and become golden. This only takes about 15-20 minutes.
I found a vegan breakfast sausage from Gimme Lean and cooked that up.
Remove the sausage from the pan so we can work on the gravy. It consists of just flour and almond milk, salt and a generous amount of pepper.
Add the sausage back in once it thickens slightly.
Doesn’t this look amazing? I serve two per person, but you can make them larger (or smaller) and serve accordingly.
Top with more freshly cracked black pepper.
Did you make this recipe for Vegan Southern Style Biscuits & Gravy? Leave me a comment below to let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER? 🙂
Vegan Southern Style Biscuits & Gravy
- 2 c Flour
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Shortening
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
FOR THE SAUSAGE GRAVY:
- 1/2 lb Vegan Sausage I used Gimme Lean
- 1/4 c Flour
- 2 c Almond Milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine the almond milk and vinegar. Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry cutter (or just your fingers), quickly cut shortening and vegan margarine into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and using as little flour as possible, gently fold dough over on itself a few times. Press into a 1-inch thick round, cutting out the biscuits with a 3 inch cutter.
- Place biscuits on a Silpat or baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting until as much of the dough has been used as possible. I try to roll only 2 times, 3 at most.
- Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes
- While the biscuits are baking, cook the vegan sausage in a skillet. Remove the sausage from pan when fully cooked.
- Whisk together the flour and almond milk and add to the hot pan, cooking over low heat for 5 minutes until it thickens. Add the cooked vegan sausage and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve over the warm biscuits.