I can’t tell you how many requests I’ve had for scones and finally, I present you with these incredibly tender and flavorful Vegan Orange Cranberry Scones! What took me so long? These were delicious! I chose not to glaze mine, but I will include the recipe in the printable card for you.
A food processor makes this dough so quickly. Flour, sugar, orange zest, baking power and salt are pulsed until well combined.
Then, add the cold vegan margarine. Pulse until it looks like coarse crumbs. With the food processor running, stream in the coconut milk.
When the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides, place the dough ball onto a lightly floured surface.
I have to note, if you live in a very dry climate (as I do), you may have to add a tablespoon or two more of the coconut milk. The dough should be light and airy, not heavy.
Add both the dried and fresh cranberries and give it a few kneads by hand to make a smooth ball. Be gentle, you don’t want the fresh cranberries to explode and turn your dough pink 🙂
Flatten the dough ball into a disk and using a knife or pastry cutter, cut into eight equal wedges.
Place the wedges onto a lined baking sheet with some distance between them so that they bake evenly. I chose to add a coarse sugar topping, but again, I’ll add the powdered sugar glaze in the printable recipe card for you should you decide to go that route.
They will crack a bit when they bake, but they are SO tender and fragrant with that orange zest. Enjoy with a hot cup of tea if you so desire.
Don’t they look amazing? Yum, I wish you could smell these!!!
Did you make these Vegan Orange Cranberry Scones? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. As always, I appreciate your likes, shares, comments and PINS.
If you enjoyed this recipe, consider PINNING IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Vegan Orange Cranberry Scones
- Food Processor
- Sheet Pan
FOR THE SCONES:
- 2 c All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 c Sugar
- Zest from one large Orange
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 c Vegan Margarine COLD
- 1/2 c CANNED Coconut Milk COLD (give it a good shake before chilling)
- 1/3 c Dried Cranberries
- 1/3 c Fresh Cranberries thawed, if using frozen
- Coarse Sanding Sugar
- 3/4 c Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 c Juice from the zested Orange
FOR THE SCONES:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder and salt. Pulse until combined.
- Next, add the vegan margarine. Give it a few pulses until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Finally, stream in the canned coconut milk while the processor is running. Use the measured amount and if it pulls away from the sides and forms a ball, you are done. If it seems too dry, add one or two more tablespoons of canned coconut milk.
- Place the dough ball onto a lightly floured surface. Add both dried and fresh cranberries to the dough and gently combine into the dough.
- Flatten the dough into a round disk and cut into 8 equal wedges.
- Top with sanding sugar (if using) and baking for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
TO MAKE THE GLAZE:
- Combine powdered sugar and juice from the orange until it is thin enough to drizzle.