We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, click here.
I don’t know why it has taken me so long to make these Soft and Chewy Vegan Snickerdoodle Cookies, but they are SO yummy! What sets the Snickerdoodle apart from other cookies, is the use of baking soda & cream of tartar as leavening agents – together they form a single acting baking powder. These cinnamon sugared soft, chewy cookies are a great one to include in your next cookie swap!
They start just like a sugar cookie with creaming the vegan margarine, sugar and brown sugar.
The dry ingredients are whisked together and added to the creamed mixture we made above.
I use a small cookie scoop and placed them into a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. This is what gives them their signature crispy edges while leaving the center very soft and tender.
To flatten or not to flatten…that is the question. Flattening the balls will give you a thinner, crisper cookie. I actually prefer these, but feel free to experiment to see which you like better.
Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.
The cookies store well in a covered container. I am giving mine as gifts to friends and neighbors for the holidays along with a few other treats.
*Some of the links below are affiliate links which means we get a small percentage of the sale which helps keep Living Vegan bringing you new recipes each week. Using this link does not affect the purchase price from Amazon.
Did you make this recipe for Soft and Chewy Vegan Snickerdoodle Cookies? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Soft and Chewy Vegan Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1 c PLUS 6 tbl All Purpose Flour
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 c Vegan Margarine softened
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 2-1/2 tbsp Applesauce unsweetened is preferable
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- pinch Salt
FOR THE CINNAMON SUGAR:
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the vegan margarine, sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the applesauce and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- With the mixer running, add the dry ingredients to the creamed vegan margarine mixture just until incorporated.
- Scoop and shape them into small balls, rolling them in the cinnamon sugar mix to coat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. The edges will start to crisp, but the center will still be soft and tender.