We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, click here.
I have had this recipe for Easy Vegan Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup on my ‘to do’ list for quite some time, but I was trying to figure out the best way to make it and be able to freeze it. Rather than make the rice IN the soup, I cooked it separately allowing me to store it without the rice soaking up all of the soup during the process! You can also make this recipe in a crock pot.
I started by sauteeing onions, celery and carrots with a pinch of salt and pepper in a bit of oil until tender.
I added the sliced mushrooms for a quick saute.
Next comes the vegetable broth and herbs. I used the equivalent of what would be considered poultry seasoning. I’ll include my recipe for homemade poultry seasoning below!
To thicken the soup, we’ll be making a roux. If you’ve never made a roux before, it couldn’t be more simple! It’s vegan margarine and all purpose flour whisked until a paste forms. Slowly add the almond milk (while whisking) until smooth.
It blends right into the soup and I also add fresh Italian parsley at this time, along with salt and pepper, to taste. I like to simmer this for about 20 minutes or so, just so the flavors meld. It is at this time that you can prepare the rice. I used a brown and wild rice mix.
So I freeze mine before adding the rice and just freeze the rice in a separate container. I do this because the rice tends to soak up all of the soup and loses it’s texture (in my opinion). I simply defrost both and combine just before serving. It comes out perfect every single time.
If you are planning on consuming the entire recipe the same day, you can cook the rice directly in the soup! You will need to add the amount of broth required to cook the rice to the amount of broth in this recipe. This also works great in a crock pot (if you have one).
It’s so creamy and delicious. With the poultry seasoning, it just reminds me of Thanksgiving! 🙂
Did you make this recipe for Easy Vegan Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup? Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below!
And, if you enjoyed this recipe why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Easy Vegan Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
TO MAKE HOMEMADE POULTRY SEASONING:
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 3/4 tbsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Dried Sage
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
TO MAKE THE MUSHROOM SOUP:
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 2 medium Carrots diced
- 2 medium Celery Stalks diced
- 4 oz Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Homemade Poultry Seasoning ***see recipe above
- 2 c Vegetable Broth
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
TO MAKE THE RICE:
- 1/2 c Wild Rice Mix
- 1-1/4 c Water (or Broth)
TO MAKE THE ROUX:
- 3 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 1/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 c Almond Milk
- Whisk together the homemade poultry seasoning ingredients and save the remainder not used in this recipe for your stuffing!
- Prepare the rice according to package instructions. Wild rice does take about 35 or more minutes, so it's best to do this while we prepare the soup.
- In a stock pot, add oil, onions, celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper and saute until tender.
- Add the mushrooms and saute quickly until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the broth and add the poultry seasoning mixture along with freshly chopped parsley.
- In a large saucepan, melt the vegan margarine and add the flour. Using a whisk, cook for a minute or two. It will be clumpy.
- Add the almond milk while whisking until smooth. Add to the soup and whisk until incorporated.
- Add the rice to the soup just before serving.
- Taste for seasoning, adding salt if necessary.