These Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes are just pure comfort food! Serve as a side with your favorite main dish. It all begins with red potatoes and a whole head of garlic. We’re using all non-dairy for the liquids to keep it vegan. I promise, you won’t notice the difference. Let’s make this!
How to make Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
As mentioned, this recipe uses whole red potatoes and not your traditional Russet potato. That’s because we are leaving the skins on, boiling them and then mashing. So this is a more home style, chunky mashed potato.
Wash and cut the potatoes into cubes. Get your water boiling and salted.
Meanwhile, slice the top off of a whole head of garlic so the cloves are exposed. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in foil and roast at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (depending on size) or until it’s soft. Allow to cool enough to handle.
Boil and drain the potatoes.
In a small saucepan over low heat, heat vegan margarine, almond milk and canned coconut milk just until melted and combined. I use canned coconut milk because it’s easier for you to find, but if you can find vegan heavy (or whipping) cream – use that! It’s just a bit thicker than almond milk. If you can’t find either, just use all milk noting because it IS thinner, you may not require as much.
Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes while still warm, it’s easier that way. Try to leave some chunks and skins intact.
The garlic should be cool enough to handle, so squeeze all of those golden cloves into your potatoes.
Add your warm milk mixture, lightly mashing once again just until incorporated.
Doesn’t that just look amazing? Those roasted garlic cloves are so sweet, they are like candy at this point.
Season with a bit more salt and pepper, to taste and add the chopped parsley for garnish.
Did you make my Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Medium stock pot
- Aluminum Foil
FOR THE ROASTED GARLIC:
- 1 medium Garlic Head top trimmed off to expose cloves
- drizzle Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
FOR THE POTATOES:
- 1 1/2 lbs Red Potatoes washed, peel on and cut into large dice/chunk
- 1/4 c Almond Milk any non-dairy milk will do
- 2 tbl Canned Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- Parsley chopped, plus a sprig for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and trim the top of the garlic head to expose the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil and roast for about 40 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool enough to handle.
- Wash the potatoes and cut into a large dice. Boil with the skins on until fork tender. While warm, mash the potatoes.
- In a small sauce pan, add the vegan margarine, almond milk and canned coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the potatoes and squeeze the garlic into the pan. Give a mash until it comes together, taking care to leave some chunks and skins intact.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.