This classic Three Bean Salad must be present at pretty much every summer picnic or party…maybe because it’s so easy to make!
I’m using drained canned beans in this recipe today, but feel free to use fresh if you can find them. Just be sure to blanch them first!
How do I blanch fresh green beans?
It’s simple! Just bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add beans. Bring back to a boil and simmer until the beans are tender but still crisp. They’ll also be brighter in color. Drain the beans and immediately immerse them into ice water to stop the cooking. This helps lock in that color!
Drain and rinse canned red kidney beans and add them to the green and wax beans.
Next up, dice about 1/4 cup of red onion.
And a bit of fresh Italian flat leaf parsley.
For the marinade, we’re using red wine vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic and black pepper. You can also add a pinch of salt if you’d like, just keep in mind that canned beans can add some salt to the recipe.
In a saucepan, add the oil to the red wine vinegar and sugar (not shown).
Now add minced garlic. I use the prepared kind just because I always have it on hand, but you can use fresh.
Finally, add black pepper and give everything a good whisk. Heat over medium heat for just a few minutes until the sugar dissolves.
Pour the marinade over the bean mixture.
Stir well to combine and place into a covered airtight container (or your fridge will smell like red wine vinegar) to marinate for at least an hour or over night. This salad serves well at room temperature.
The salad keeps well for several days. I do recommend draining off the liquid if you are going to keep it for more than 24 hours however.
Did you make this recipe for Three Bean Salad? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.\
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER 🙂
Three Bean Salad
- 1/2 c Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1/4 c Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 8 oz Cut Green Beans about 1/2 of a can, drained
- 8 oz Cut Yellow (Wax) Beans about 1/2 of a can drained
- 8 oz Red Kidney Beans about 1/2 of a can drained
- 1/4 c Red Onion diced
- 2 tbsp Flat Leaf Italian Parsley chopped finely
- Combine beans and parsley in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the marinade ingredients and cook over medium heat just until the sugar dissolves. Pour over the beans.
- Add parsley and stir well to combine.
- Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least one hour prior to serving (or overnight).
- Serve cold or at room temperature.