Garlic Butter EVERYTHING is all over the Internet so I decided to make my vegan version of Garlic Butter Butternut Squash “Steaks”. The squash is peeled, cut into “steaks” and brushed with oil. I season with salt, pepper and my favorite Italian seasoning blend. You could use any blend you’d like. Finally, once baked, I finish with melted vegan margarine infused with minced garlic. These are DELICIOUS!
How to make Garlic Butter Butternut Squash Steaks
The first thing you’ll need to do is peel a butternut squash. Any good peeler makes easy work of this task. We are only using the “neck” of the squash so be sure to choose one that will yield about 4 steaks. Reserve the rest of the squash for another recipe.
Once you get your slices, drizzle with oil (both sides). Making sure they are well coated with oil will assure they don’t dry out in the oven.
Can I use a pan to cook these?
Yes, absolutely! You could use a skillet to cook these as well. Just use a non-stick skillet over medium high heat with the same process taking care that your seasoning doesn’t burn. Near the end, baste with the vegan garlic butter.
Add coarse salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to the steaks (both sides).
Making Vegan Garlic Butter
Meanwhile, melt vegan margarine and add minced garlic. Wait to brush this over the squash until it’s fully cooked.
If you are choosing to pan fry these, I would begin to baste them towards the end of the cooking time.
Brush the vegan garlic butter over the finished steaks and serve immediately. These would be lovely over a simple green salad or arugula.
Don’t they look yummy?
Here’s a bite shot for you. There is SO much flavor in this squash, I am sure you will love them as much as we did.
Did you make my recipe for Garlic Butter Butternut Squash Steaks? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Garlic Butter Butternut Squash Steaks
- Sheet Pan lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat
- Good Vegetable Peeler
- 1 large Butternut Squash preferable with a long, evenly shaped neck, peeled and using the neck only, sliced into "steaks"
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- sprinkling Italian Seasoning or other seasoning, depending on your personal preference
Vegan Garlic Butter
- Vegan Margarine melted
- Garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Peel a butternut squash. We'll only be using the long neck, so be sure to find one that is long and evenly shaped. You should get four "steaks" from one large squash. Save the remaining squash for another recipe.
- Place the squash onto the sheet pan and drizzle both sides with oil, seasoning with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with your favorite seasoning blend. I used Italian but any will do.
- Bake the squash until golden and tender. About 20-25 minutes (depending on your oven).
- Melt vegan margarine and add minced garlic. Brush over the cooked "steaks" and serve immediately.