These Vegan Sweet Potato Pie Bars are really simple to make and have a similar texture to pumpkin pie. It would be best to chill the bars overnight so that they set well before slicing. Add a dollop of vegan whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice for a really amazingly delicious dessert! Let me show you how to make it.
How to make my Vegan Sweet Potato Pie Bars
For the filling, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes (I roast mine, but you could also microwave)
- Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk
- Honey (or Agave)
- Arrowroot Powder
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- and Salt
Using a hand (or stand) mixer, blend this mixture until well combined.
It should look like this. Set aside while we make the crust.
How to make the graham cracker crust
You’ve seen this crust before and it’s a classic! Simply combine graham crackers (or graham cracker crumbs), sugar, cinnamon and melted vegan margarine.
Using a glass or the back of a measuring cup, press firmly into an 8″ square baking pan that you have lined with parchment (for ease of removal) and also sprayed with cooking spray (for added assurance).
Bake the crust as 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until set. This must cool completely or your filling and crust will separate during the baking process.
Once the crust is cool, you can spread the filling evenly over top. I like using an offset spatula. Make it nice and smooth.
Bake until set to just about the middle. If you have made pumpkin pie, you will be familiar with the texture of this bar. A knife inserted should come out clean. It will continue to set as it cools and will be even better if you have the patience to refrigerate it overnight. I personally feel the flavor and texture is better the next day.
Use the parchment to assist in lifting the bars out of the pan and place onto a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into 9 equal bars. It helps to wipe the knife clean in between slices.
Top with vegan whipped cream and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice. This is one delicious dessert and perfect for the upcoming holidays!
Did you make my Vegan Sweet Potato Pie Bars? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie Bars
- Hand (or Stand) Mixer
- 8" Square Baking Pan lined with Parchment
FOR THE SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- 3 c Sweet Potato Puree about 2 large sweet potatoes, roasted, peeled and pureed using a mixer
- 1/4 c Canned Coconut Milk full fat
- 1/4 c Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 3 tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
FOR THE GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
- 1 1/2 c Graham Crackers measure using processed crumbs
- 1/3 c Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 5 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- To prepare for this recipe, you will need to either roast or microwave 2 large sweet potatoes to yield 3 cups of puree. Use a mixer to puree the peeled potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8" square baking pan with parchment. I also like to give it a light mist of cooking spray for extra assurance that it won't stick.
- For time purposes, start with the crust and combine the ingredients. Press into your pan and bake for 15-20 minute or until set. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, mix all of the filling ingredients and pour into the cooled crust. Smooth with a spatula and baking until set, about 55 to 60 minutes. A knife inserted should come clean. It will continue to set as it cools and you should plan to refrigerate overnight for the best results.
- Using the parchment remove from the pan and divide into 9 equal bars. Top with vegan whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Serve cold.