This Classic Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe comes straight from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, originally published in 1968! I love this recipe, but I will say – if you live in a warm climate as I do, they do tend to spread if you don’t chill the dough long enough. These are a staple in my house. Let me show you how to make them.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
- Vegan Margarine
- Peanut Butter
- All Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Egg Replacer – I used Unsweetened Applesauce
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Sugar, for rolling
How to make my Classic Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Add the vegan margarine and sugars to the mixer. Cream until the sugar has dissolved. Add the peanut butter, mix, then add the remaining ingredients.
Using a small cookie scoop, place mounds directly into a bowl of sugar and roll until coated and round. I do a whole tray of them, then go back and roll again because who doesn’t love that crisp exterior?
Using a fork, create those classic cross hatch marks on the balls of dough and refrigerate until chilled. I live in Arizona, so this took awhile but it really does help keep them from spreading. I was just a bit impatient and didn’t wait long enough this time around 🙂 They were delicious regardless.
Now, your cookes are ready to bake at 375 degrees for about 7 to 9 minutes or until just golden on the edges and bottom. Don’t over bake. They will set up as they cool.
As you can see, mine did spread but it was over 100 degrees here the day I made these. Really take that time to chill the cookie dough.
All in all, I really loved these. Lightly crisp on the exterior and tender on the interior.
You just can’t go wrong with a peanut butter cookie and this one is no exception!
Did you make my Classic Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought.
Classic Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- Hand (or Stand) Mixer
- 1/2 c Vegan Margarine softened, but not melted
- 1/2 c Peanut Butter
- 1 1/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 c Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar
- 1/4 c Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
- In the bowl of a mixer, add the softened vegan margarine and two sugars. Beat until creamy and the sugar is well incorporated. Add the peanut butter, beat and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Using a small cookie scoop, place the mounds directly into the sugar and roll. Place on lined baking sheet until you have filled the entire sheet. I like to go back and re-roll in the sugar for a second time and shape into balls. Using a fork, create that classic cross hatch pattern and chill until firm.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges and bottom are slightly golden and the center is set. They will firm up as they cool on the cookie sheet.
- These store nicely in a covered container for several days.