It’s summer and I don’t know about you, but in our family…it’s all about the salads! In addition to this Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Salad, you’ll find a Classic Vegan Macaroni Salad over on my sister site, The Veg Life!
I’ve recently discovered yet another VEGAN mayonnaise by Best Foods which you can currently find on Amazon here, BUT much cheaper at Target.com. Best Foods (a/k/a Hellman’s on the east coast) was always my favorite mayo growing up, so I was really excited to try this one. I’ll be doing a full review soon.
In the meantime, let’s get back to this delicious Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Salad!
The first step to the salad is to peel and cube the sweet potatoes. I like to steam them because I find they retain their shape better. You want them to retain some bite and it’s a bit easier to monitor this way. If they are too overcooked, you’ll end up with mashed potato salad 🙂
While the potatoes are steaming, I prepare the dressing. As mentioned above, I used a vegan mayonnaise and created my usual homemade “buttermilk” mixture which gives it a nice tang. This is simply almond milk and vinegar.
To that, I add pimentos, parsley, green onions (scallions/spring onions), celery, shallots, Dijon mustard and garlic. If you have some vegan bacon bits on hand, those would be nice on top!
Toss the slightly cooled potatoes with the dressing. If you do this while they are still warm, they will absorb some of those flavors. I prefer mine chilled, so I prepare things a day in advance giving the flavors time to meld in the fridge.
Did you make this recipe for Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Salad? Let me know in the comments section below! A lot of you also do this on Facebook or Instagram, so thank you for the feedback. I really love when you interact with my posts 🙂
*Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. Clicking on them does not affect your purchase price, it just means we get a very small percentage that assists in keeping Living Vegan creating new recipes for you each week.
If you liked this recipe, PIN IT FOR LATER!
Creamy Vegan Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled, cubed & steamed
- 1/3 c Almond Milk PLUS 1 tbsp VINEGAR (to create a vegan buttermilk)
- 1 tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 small Minced or Crushed Garlic Cloves OR you can use 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley chopped
- 2 Shallots peeled & minced
- Create a vegan buttermilk simply by combining almond milk and vinegar. Allow to sit. It should look a bit curdled, but don't worry. It will all whisk together in the end 🙂
- Steam cubed sweet potatoes until just tender. DO NOT OVER COOK. Drain. Place on a tray in a single layer to cool.
- Whisk together vegan buttermilk and remaining dressing ingredients. Gently toss with potatoes to combine.
- Garnish with some vegan bacon bits and/or parsley, if desired.
- Chill before serving.