When I sent out my last survey, you all said you wanted more product reviews. Not being one to disappoint, this recipe for Classic Basil Pesto & Vegan Cream Cheese Crostini encompasses not one, but two of them! 🙂
I reached out to the folks at Follow Your Heart to see if they would send me a few products to try out and review for you. I have actually used the grated parmesan before and you’ll find it listed as an ingredient in many of my past recipes.
I was anxious to see how the consistency of the cream cheese would be and I was really thrilled with the product. The shredded parmesan alternative was also new to me. Be sure to check out my recipe for Better Than Panda Express Fried Rice where I reviewed the Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg. That…was impressive!
Okay, so enough chatting…let’s get to the recipe! The first order of business is to lightly toast the pine nuts. Do NOT walk away from this or they will burn.
This classic pesto combines fresh basil leaves, garlic cloves, salt, pepper, oil, toasted pine nuts and our vegan parmesan.
Everything goes into a food processor which makes quick work of creating our basil pesto.
I like to top my pesto with a bit more of the vegan parmesan and a sprig of fresh parsley for garnish.
I toasted up a baguette, spread on a generous amount of cream cheese and topped with my pesto. Again, another sprinkling of vegan parmesan wouldn’t hurt 😉 I was using the grated, but in hindsight, may have opted for the shredded for the garnish. Either works!
Did you make this recipe for Classic Basil Pesto & Vegan Cream Cheese Crostini? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought.
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Classic Basil Pesto & Vegan Cream Cheese Crostini
FOR THE BASIL PESTO:
- 1/4 c Olive Oil
- 3/4 c Basil Leaves you can also use a combination of basil and parsley
- 1/4 c Pine Nuts
- 1-2 cloves Garlic
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 c Vegan Follow Your Heart Parmesan Cheese Alternative
- Vegan Follow Your Heart Cream Cheese Alternative
- Toasted, Sliced French Bread
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the ingredients for the basil pesto. Remove to a bowl.
- Slice and toast french bread, spread with vegan Follow Your Heart Cream Cheese Alternative and top with an additional sprinkle of vegan Follow Your Heart Parmesan Cheese Alternative.