These Vegan Honey Wheat Rolls are my version of a Copycat of Cheesecake Factory’s famous “brown” bread. My friends and I love that basket of bread served while you wait for your meal, a combination of French bread and this gloriously sweet brown bread.
For the honey, I’m using a vegan bee-free honey. These are widely available both at stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Sprouts and more. It’s also available on Amazon.com.
How to make Vegan Honey Wheat Rolls
The first step is obviously to make the dough. Water is mixed with yeast and sugar and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
After that time, your dough should be all bubbly like this. If not, check the date on your yeast. Unfortunately, fresh yeast is necessary for good bread.
I whisk together the dry ingredients which include: bread flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder and salt.
Add the flour to the yeast mixture along with molasses and vegan margarine (softened).
This is the bee-free (vegan) honey alternative. This stuff is good! I encourage you to seek it out.
Allow the dough to knead until a smooth ball is formed.
Allow to rise in a covered greased bowl in a warm place until doubled in size. This is a dense dough and the volume of the dough is a testament to the good (and fresh) yeast I mentioned above.
Divide the dough and roll into rounds and/or ovals.
I lightly spritzed the top of the rolls with water to allow the oats to adhere. They will bake into the dough.
These rolls are best enjoyed with a dab of vegan margarine. I love the bread when it’s still warm. So good!
Did you make this recipe for my Vegan Honey Wheat Rolls? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Vegan Honey Wheat Rolls
- 1 1/2 c Warm Water
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Instant Dry Yeast
- 2 1/2 c Bread Flour
- 2 1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Vegan Margarine softened
- 3 tbsp Molasses
- 1/4 c Vegan Honey Alternative
- Oats for topping the rolls
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the warm water (not to hot or it will kill the yeast), the sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Whisk together the flours, cocoa powder and salt. Add to the yeast mixture.
- Finally, add the softened vegan margarine, molasses and vegan honey alternative. Mix and allow to knead until a smooth dough is formed. NOTE: If you have a small mixer, I would recommend doing this in two batches or the motor may not be able to handle it. It is a dense dough.
- Grease a bowl with oil, add the dough and toss til coated and cover, allowing to sit in a warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide the dough into six equal pieces and shape into balls or mini loaves.
- Spritz or brush the tops with water and sprinkle on old fashioned oats for decoration.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes depending on the size and shape f your loaves. You'll know they are done when you tap the bottoms and you get a hollow sound. Allow to cool and spread with vegan margarine.