I had the idea to take my favorite Irish Soda Bread recipe and turn it into these Mini Irish Soda Breads. Aren’t they cute? And the perfect size for an individual serving. Of course, if you prefer, you can just make one single loaf.
How to make vegan “buttermilk”
The first thing we need to take care of is making our vegan “buttermilk”. This is nothing more than a non-dairy milk (I recommend almond milk) and apple cider (or white) vinegar.
The vinegar “sours” the milk and creates chemical properties that mimic that of a traditional buttermilk. Just give it a quick stir and set it aside while we work on the remaining ingredients.
The dry ingredients
We’re using all purpose flour in this traditional recipe. If you are experienced with using gluten-free flours, I would love it if you would chime in on the comments below for your fellow gluten-free readers!
A little bit of sugar…
Both baking powder…
AND baking soda are used since this is a quick bread with no yeast.
Last but not least, a bit of salt. Give it a really good whisking.
Into the flour mixture, add the very cold and cut up vegan margarine. Using a pastry blender (or fork) cut the vegan margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Making the dough
Now your “buttermilk” concoction should look a little bit curdled and that is exactly what we want! Add to the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
I made a note in the recipe that if you live in a very dry climate (as I do), that you may need just a smidge more almond milk but you wont know until you’ve got it partially combined.
Your dough should look a little something like this!
Portioning the dough
Give it a few light kneads just to bring the dough together and with a sharp knife, cut into four equal portions. You can also opt to leave it as is and bake the loaf whole.
Using a sharp knife, create a cross in the top of each ball of dough. Don’t go all of the way through.
Serve with vegan margarine. I love these when they are still warm out of the oven!
Did you make this recipe for Mini Irish Soda Bread? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed the recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Mini Irish Soda Bread
- 1 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 c Vegan Margarine very cold & cut into pieces
- 1/2 c Non Dairy Milk I used Almond Milk
- 1-1/2 tsp Vinegar I used apple cider vinegar, but white also works
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees & line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a measuring cup, add the almond milk and vinegar. Allow to sit while preparing the rest of the ingredients. The vinegar "sours" the milk creating a vegan version of buttermilk.
- Add the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl and whisk until combined.
- Using a pastry blender (or a fork) cut the very cold vegan margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add "buttermilk" mixture and incorporate just until combined. If you live in a very dry climate (as I do), you may need just a smidge more almond milk for it to come together. Go easy, it doesn't take much. You want to work the dough as little as possible at this point.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and just bring the dough together. Using a sharp knife, divide into four equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a smooth ball and using that sharp knife, slice into the dough in either direction creating the cross marks.
- Bake for about 22-30 minutes (depends on your oven) keeping a close eye. The edges will just start to get golden. You can also use a toothpick to be sure it comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Allow to cool and serve with vegan margarine.