These Jam Filled Vegan Thumbprint Cookies are one of my mother’s favorites and we make them every single year. This year’s version is filled with raspberry jam, but you could use any jam you prefer. In fact, a mixture of flavors and colors is really nice, especially if you are giving the cookies away as a gift or in a cookie swap!
The cookies are super simple to make. We start with vegan margarine that I’ve softened to room temperature. This is really important for a smooth, and not lumpy dough.
We’re also using vegetable shortening in this recipe.
To that, add brown sugar and give it a good mix until the vegan margarine is creamy.
Now add vanilla. I just LOVE the smell of vanilla extract. Mmmmm….
A pinch of salt always brings out the flavor. Don’t skip it!
For the egg, I am using ground flax mixed with water. Since these cookies are rolled in nuts, I don’t mind the little brown bits. You could also use unsweetened applesauce or vegan sour cream in the same measurement to equal 1/4 cup total. *If you are vegetarian, that would be one large egg.
Now add the flour and mix everything well to combine.
Meanwhile, in a food processor add the walnuts. You could also use pecans, or anything other nut really. Give a few pulses until they are finely chopped.
So now we have our smooth dough and I like to use a small scoop to portion it into balls. This not only makes life easier, it ensures that all of your cookies will be uniform in size.
Go right into the chopped nuts and roll using your hands.
Place all of the rolled balls onto a lined cookie sheet.
Using your thumb, hence the name “thumbprints”, create an impression which will ultimately be the area where you place the jam.
Bake (unfilled) for about 10 minutes or until they are just starting to set and become golden.
Remove to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. We actually do not fill them until ready to serve. Stored in a covered container, they tend to last longer this way. Adding the jam too soon may make them soft.
Did you make this recipe for Jam Filled Vegan Thumbprint Cookies? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Before you go, why not check out some of our recent videos and be sure to subscribe to the YouTube Channel! 🙂
Jam Filled Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
- 1/4 C Brown Sugar packed Vegan
- 1/4 C Vegetable Shortening
- 1/4 C Vegan Margarine such as Earth Balance
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Ground Flax PLUS 3 Tbsp Water
- 1 C All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 C Finely Chopped Nuts Walnuts OR Pecans
- Vegan Jam or Jelly of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, shortening, vegan margarine, vanilla and flax "egg".
- Add flour and salt until incorporated.
- Form dough into 1" balls and roll in chopped nuts. Place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press thumb deeply in center of each. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Fill thumbprints with any vegan jam or jelly of your choosing.