I am a long time fan of that out-of-the box store bought stuffing. You know the one. I decided to make my own version in this Homemade Stove Top Stuffing and it turned out great!
It’s super easy and comes together really quickly. I think you are going to love it as much as I do!
The first step is to melt 4 tbsp of vegan margarine in a large skillet. You could use oil in a pinch, but the flavor is just sooooo much better with the margarine.
I know it seems like a lot of margarine, but other than broth, it is the only moisture going into our stuffing.
To the vegan margarine, add the diced onions, carrots and celery and saute until the veggies are tender. This is really your only chance to cook them and you don’t want to bite into a crunchy carrot. Am I right?
I often cover the veggies at this point to help expedite the cooking process. It really helps to soften the vegetables more quickly.
Now add the poultry seasoning, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Give it a good stir.
The bread cubes are up next.
Follow with the vegetable stock. Use a really good stock because again, there aren’t many ingredients in this recipe so you want to use the most flavorful you can find.
Toss the bread cubes with the veggies until everything is moistened. Cover for 10 minutes.
You can add the parsley at this point or after the 10 minute cooking time. Either way is just fine.
And there it is. Isn’t it a thing of beauty? I love this stuff. I really do.
Did you make this recipe for Homemade Stove Top Stuffing? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER? 🙂
Homemade Stove Top Stuffing
- 4 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 1 box Dried Herb Cube Stuffing OR about 12 slices of leftover bread, cut into cubes & air dried until crisp
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 medium Onion finely diced
- 2 medium Carrots finely diced
- 2 stalks Celery finely diced
- 1/2 tsp Prepared Poultry Seasoning (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 3/4 c Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped
- In a large skillet, melt 4 tbsp of vegan margarine. You could use oil if you can't find the vegan margarine.
- Add the diced onion, celery and carrot and saute over medium high heat until softened. I often cover it at this point to expedite the process.
- Add the poultry seasoning, minced garlic and salt and pepper.
- Now add the dried bread cubes. I really love the prepared, seasoned cubes but I also save the remnants of loaves and freeze them just for this purpose. Cut into small cubes and air dry, or in the oven with low heat until crisp.
- Add the broth and resist the urge to add more. It may not seem like enough but you'll stir very well and cover. The steam created from covering will make tender stuffing every single time.
- Add the chopped parsley after the cooking time has finished.
- Fluff with a fork and taste for seasoning. Add another pinch of salt if necessary.