We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, click here.
I get a LOT of requests to create gluten free recipes, so my promise to those readers was to bring recipes like these Gluten Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes to you more frequently. If you don’t follow a gluten free diet, well…these are just pretty amazing pancakes 🙂
You should have everything for these pancakes in your pantry except maybe the buckwheat flour. I got this one on Amazon. There are several really good brands out there and later, I found one from Bob’s Red Mill at Walmart for just $3.48. Shop around, it’s worth it.
Buckwheat flour is a high fiber, high protein alternative to processed white flour. It is also higher in many essential vitamins and minerals than white flour.
There are just three simple steps to these delicious pancakes. Combine the ground flax with water and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes while we prepare the remaining ingredients. It should thicken and become somewhat gelatinous.
Next, combine the almond milk and vinegar. This creates a homemade “buttermilk”. Again, you will allow this to sit for about 10 minutes.
In a separate bowl, I whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Now just combine the wet mixtures into the dry and you’ll immediately start to see the baking powder and soda go to work!
This is what your batter should look like. Allow it to rest while you preheat the pan. You want it thick, otherwise it will just spread around the pan.
Now, one observation I’d like to mention is that while we had a few air bubbles coming up (as in traditional pancake making), there were just a few. When I checked the bottom, it was ready to flip. Like right now! So just keep and eye on things.
I tried making these with a non-stick spray but I found just a touch of melted coconut oil (or vegetable shortening) was working better for me. I got those nice crisp edges I was looking for.
You will want either a sweet fruit topping and/or pure maple syrup to sweeten up the pancakes. I was skeptical, but I ended up finishing off a good bit these pancakes. So good!
This recipe makes four pancakes that measure about 4″ in diameter. You’ll likely want to double the recipe (or triple) for a bigger crowd. I used a 2 oz. scoop (4 tbl) for each pancake and it worked out perfectly.
Did you make this recipe for Gluten Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes? If so, leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought! What do you put on your pancakes?
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER? 🙂
Gluten Free Vegan Buckwheat Pancakes
- 1/2 c Buckwheat Flour
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1-1/2 tsp Ground Flax PLUS 1-1/2 tbsp Water allow to sit
- 3/4 c Vanilla Almond Milk any flavor will do
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Oil for pan frying such as vegetable shortening, coconut oil, non-stick spray
- Maple Syrup or Date Syrup
FOR THE FLAX "EGG":
- Combine ground flax with 1-1/2 tablespoons water and set aside for at least 10 minutes or until thickened and somewhat gelatinous.
FOR THE HOMEMADE "BUTTERMILK":
- Combine apple cider vinegar and almond milk and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Whisk together buckwheat flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Combine with both wet mixtures above. Allow to rest while you preheat the pan.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet and add just a small amount of vegetable shortening, coconut oil or non-stick spray. Add one 2 oz. scoop of batter and allow to cook until you start to see a bubble or two. The edges should be set and take approximately 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with fresh fruit such as bananas, blueberries and of course, pure maple syrup (or date syrup if you prefer). Many brands of powdered sugar are gluten free and a dusting of this would be really nice on these pancakes. Just be sure to read the label!