We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, click here.
The steaks you see below, which produced a very consistent color and coverage, combined the spices and melted coconut oil to brush the cauliflower steaks prior to air frying. I plan on testing these with various liquids to create an oil-free version.
You’ll want to start with a nice head of cauliflower and only remove those green leaves.
Through trial and error, I learned that your best bet is to begin by slicing straight down through the center of the cauliflower through the core. Create a 1″ thick steak by slicing on either side of that first cut. You may get more steaks, you may not. Save the pieces for Buffalo Cauliflower Bites or just to munch on, dipping them in my Homemade Vegan Ranch Dressing 🙂
Here’s what they should look like.
I created a super simple spice mixture of turmeric, salt, black pepper, a pinch of ginger and along with the coconut oil, was able to brush the mixture all over the cauliflower steaks. It’s a messy job, but someone has to do it! 🙂
I thought they looked stunning!
I started out with my temperature on the Avalon Bay Air Fryer at 370 degrees for about 15 minutes. I carefully flipped the cauliflower steaks about halfway through. If they aren’t quite browned enough on the edges, just give them another minute or two.
By the way, the folks at Avalon Bay are offering a Promo Code for 20% off the Avalon Bay AirFryer-230B! Just use the code 20THEVEGLIFE before checkout if you purchase from their website! You can, of course, also purchase it on Amazon. I’m loving this thing! 🙂
The texture was perfect! Crisp on the outside and tender on the insides. Just what I was looking for.
I decided to drizzle my cauliflower steaks with tahini. Keeping it simple. With that turmeric seasoning, you don’t need anything fancy.
I served mine over a spinach salad. It was amazing!
Did you make these Air Fryer Fried Turmeric Cauliflower Steaks? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Air Fryer Fried Turmeric Cauliflower Steaks
- 1-2 medium Heads of Cauliflower green leaves removed, stem intact
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil or Coconut Spray Oil
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cumin OPTIONAL
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/16 tsp Black Pepper
- Greens of your choosing
- Tahini for drizzling
- White Sesame Seeds for garnish, OPTIONAL
- Cut the head of cauliflower down the middle, leaving the stem intact. Trim off the excess green leaves.
- On either side of that half, cut 1" "steaks" taking care not to make them too thin and fragile. Reserve any fallen florets for snaking or buffalo cauliflower at a later date.
- You can either spray the steaks and rub the spices in, or mix the spices IN the oil and brush into all of the cracks and crevices.
- This recipes can be prepared in the oven or in an air fryer at 390 to 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- Serve on a bed of mixed greens and with a drizzle of tahini. Garnish with white sesame seeds, if desired.