We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. For more information, click here.
Maybe you’ve been on my sister site and have seen these Easy Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies … which are a classic. But I wanted to try something a bit different and make these Big & Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. I think they came out great and while you really can’t go wrong with either recipe, these are definitely worth giving a try 🙂
The first step is to whip up some room temperature vegan margarine in the bowl of an electric mixer.
Next, add sugar and vegan egg alternative. My favorite for baking would be unsweetened applesauce. It works perfectly every time!
For this next step, I used date syrup but molasses is also a great choice here. I just happened to have date syrup on hand. Either will make this cookie nice and chewy inside.
Your batter should look a little something like this 🙂
In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the remaining dry ingredients. This is to ensure that everything gets well incorporated BEFORE it hits the butter/sugar mixture.
Combine with your butter/sugar mixture and then fold in the raisins by hand. I will give you a guideline measurement, but this part really is to taste. I prefer less raisins, my family prefers more – so I do a little of both to satisfy everyone.
I like to use a cookie scoop to ensure uniformity. Plus, these things just make life a whole lot easier. I give mine a light spray with cooking spray and lightly wipe away any excess with a paper towel. This dough will want to stick, but the spray makes things go smoothly.
You don’t have to do this next step, but I was wanting large cookies and using the base of a drinking glass (lightly sprayed with cooking spray) make quick work of this task. The cookies will spread on their own, this just helps get things started.
I had some leftover batter so I made some smaller cookies as well. I probably could have made a half batch. This recipe makes about 12 large cookies or 36 smaller cookies, but this will vary depending on the size of your cookie scoop.
Did you make this recipe for Big & Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
And if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Big & Chewy Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1/2 c Vegan Margarine softened to room temperature
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar
- 1/4 c White Sugar
- 1/4 c Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tbsp Molasses OR Date Syrup
- 3/4 c All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 c Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp Cinnamon or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 3/4 c Raisins or more to taste
- Chopped Walnuts optional add-in
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the softened vegan margarine, both sugars, the applesauce and molasses.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl with a whisk.
- Beat the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture until combined.
- Fold in the raisins by hand.
- Using a cookie scoop, make mounds on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and using the bottom of a drinking glass, press lightly to flatten.
- Bake the cookies until set on top (they will still be soft) and the bottom and edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet until set enough to transfer to a cooking rack. They will set up as they cool and you don't want to over bake or they won't be chewy.
- Baking time will vary based on the size you make the cookies. Mine took nearly 20 minutes, but all oven temperatures vary so keep an eye on them.
These were delicious!! I took them to work and my coworkers loved them! I added chopped pecans instead of walnuts.
Comments are closed.