For the past two years, I have been wanting to make this VEGAN Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows. I don’t know why it took so long, but it was definitely worth the wait!
I roast, rather than boil or steam, the sweet potatoes for added flavor. Allow these to cool just enough to handle them and remove the skin.
I mashed the sweet potatoes with some pretty traditional ingredients such as vegan margarine, brown sugar, salt and vanilla. Feel free to spice these up to your personal preference. Maybe some cinnamon?
Spread into a baking dish that has been prepared with spray.
You can use mini vegan marshmallows, but I had the larger size on hand so I just used kitchen shears to cut them in half.
Top with a sprinkling of chopped pecans.
Now it’s time to bake! I rotated the dish between the middle and top racks of the oven to be sure I achieved this perfect melted, golden brown. It also toasts the pecans a bit, which adds even more flavor!
Allow to cool for just a few minutes because those marshmallows are HOT. Then scoop and enjoy! 🙂 This recipe serves about 12 as a side dish.
Did you make this recipe for VEGAN Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows? Let me know what you thought in the comments section below.
And, if you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
VEGAN Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- 2-1/2 lbs Sweet Potatoes baked, skins removed (NOTE: you can also used canned sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 c Brown Sugar
- 1/4 c Vegan Margarine softened
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 c Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
- Vegan Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Wash and bake sweet potatoes whole. Allow to cool enough to handle and remove skins.
- Place the sweet potato into a large bowl and add the brown sugar and vegan margarine. Using a potato masher, roughly mash until butter melts.
- Fold in the salt and vanilla and spread into your prepared casserole dish.
- Top with VEGAN marshmallows (I use Dandies brand). You could use mini's, but since I had the traditional size, just cut them in half lengthwise. Place over the top of your mashed potatoes.
- Top with a sprinkling of chopped pecans and bake until the marshmallows are melted and golden. I rotated mine between the middle and top rack in the oven until I got the color I was seeking. This should take about 20-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Those marshmallows are HOT!