These Vegan Blueberry Lemon Streusel Muffins with Blueberry Butter ended up SO much better than I had hoped for! I think you are really going to enjoy them as much as we did 🙂
The first step is to prepare the muffin batter. I like to fold the blueberries in at the end so they don’t break up too much.
The streusel topping could not be easier. It is flour, sugar, cinnamon and melted vegan margarine.
This gets sprinkled over the top of the muffin batter and baked. I tweaked the baking time here and it made a huge difference. I began at 400 degrees for 6 minutes, then lowered the heat to 375 and baked until golden. About 12-14 minutes. A toothpick inserted should come out clean.
This is what they look like straight out of the oven. Allow to cool in the muffin pans for about 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a baking rack.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, add the water, blueberries and sugar. We’ll be making a blueberry sauce for our blueberry butter.
Bring to a boil and stir occasionally. Once the berries have softened and become syrupy, add a mixture of 1 tbsp water to 1 tsp cornstarch – a slurry. This will help thicken your sauce and you’ll know it’s ready when it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and add vanilla, if desired.
Allow this mixture to cool while, at the same time, you soften the vegan margarine.
Whisk to combine and refrigerate. If you’d like it more on the whipped side, go ahead and use a hand mixer to incorporate more air.
These muffins are lemony, tender, sweet, a bit crunchy on top from the cinnamon sugar streusel. That blueberry butter just sets it over the top. I highly recommend it!
If you’ve made these Vegan Blueberry Lemon Streusel Muffins with Blueberry Butter, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below.
Vegan Blueberry Lemon Streusel Muffins with Blueberry Butter
For Streusel Topping:
- 1 c Flour
- 1/2 c Sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 7 tbsp Melted Vegan Butter
For Lemon Blueberry Muffins:
- 1 ½ c Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2/3 c Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax PLUS 6 Tbl Water allow to sit for 10 minutes
- 2/3 c Vegan Sour Cream
- 1/3 c Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups Fresh Blueberries
FOR BLUEBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/3 c Fresh Blueberries
- 1-1/2 tbsp Water
- 1-1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Vanilla
FOR BLUEBERRY BUTTER:
- 4 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- 2-1/2 tbsp Blueberry Sauce (above)
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- To make the muffins, in the bowl of an electric mixer, add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest and blend for a minute. Add Flax "eggs" and blend until combined. Finally, add vegan sour cream, oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat on medium high for a minute to incorporate some air. Fold in blueberries by hand.
MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING:
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and cinnamon, add melted butter and stir with a fork until crumbly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tins, filling 2/3 and generously add the streusel topping.
- Bake at 400 F for 5 minutes, then REDUCE THE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 375 F and bake 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan then remove muffins and cool completely on a wire rack.
TO MAKE THE BLUEBERRY SAUCE:
- To a small saucepan, add the blueberries, water and sugar. Cook over medium heat until a low boil. In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp of water and the cornstarch whisking with a fork until smooth. Add to the berry mixture. Cook until thick enough to coat a spoon. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
TO MAKE THE BLUEBERRY BUTTER:
- Combine vegan margarine with the blueberry sauce either by hand, or with a hand mixer for a smoother, more whipped effect.