This easy to make Vegan Apple Pie Recipe is a classic that you must have in your holiday baking line up! Want to make it even easier? Store bought pie crust is very often vegan-friendly. If you’d like to make your own, I’ll include my favorite recipe below!
The first thing we need to do is flavor those apples with lots and LOTS of spice.
I peel, core and slice the apples into wedges. Then add the combined spice mixture. Toss well to coat and set aside while we work on the crust.
Again, feel free to use a store-bought pie crust OR as I mentioned, you can use the one I provide in the recipe card below. Regardless, give those edges a pretty crimp either using your fingers or a fork. Rustic is okay. This is a homemade pie 🙂
With an apple pie, you definitely need to vent it. Using a sharp knife, slice through the dough a few times. Again, get creative – decorative.
Melted vegan margarine gets brushed over the top of the crust. I love these silicone pastry brushes. They go right into the dishwasher! You can get them on Amazon (*affiliate link).
I am using a coarse sparkling sugar, but any sugar will do. This one is certified Kosher, but that doesn’t always mean vegan – so check your labels! I found this on online awhile back from a vegan-friendly supplier. Again, any traditional raw or granulated sugar works just fine.
Bake the pie until it’s golden and bubbling. Once cool, your slices will come out much easier. I like to chill my apple pies, but that is completely up to you. Warm is good too! 🙂 I serve with a vegan vanilla bean ice cream.
Doesn’t that look amazing? Yummm…
Before you go, why not check out some of our recent videos and be sure to subscribe to the YouTube Channel! 🙂
Did you make this Vegan Apple Pie Recipe? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought. And if you enjoyed the recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Vegan Apple Pie Recipe
- 4 lbs Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored & cut into wedges
- 2-3 tbsp Lemon or Orange Juice
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/4 c All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon OR Apple Pie Spice if you have it
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground Allspice
- Traditional, Coarse or Raw Sugar for sprinkling (optional)
PERFECT PIE CRUST:
- 12 tbsp Vegan Margarine VERY Cold
- 3 c All-Purpose Flour plus more for dusting
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/3 c Vegetable Shortening VERY Cold
- 6 to 8 tbsp Ice Water
TO MAKE THE PERFECT PIE CRUST:
- Dice the VERY COLD vegan margarine place it along with the VERY COLD vegetable shortening, flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, pulsing a few times until the vegan margarine is the size of peas.
- With the processor running, pour the ice water down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. On a floured surface, roll into a ball then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
TO MAKE THE APPLE PIE FILLING:
- Peel, core and cut the apples into wedges. Toss with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
TO ASSEMBLE + FINISH THE PIE:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the chilled dough in half (as this is a two crust pie). Roll each piece on a well-floured surface into a round.
- Fit one round of dough into the pie dish, fill with the apple mixture and top with the remaining round of dough. OPTIONAL: Brush with melted vegan margarine and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, about 55-60 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
- Serve with vegan vanilla bean ice cream.