One of my favorite sides, Roasted Acorn Squash with Walnuts and Cranberries, is easily veganized with vegan margarine. It’s a quick, yet flavorful accompaniment to any meal. Full of flavor and texture, I really think you are going to love it!
How to make Roasted Acorn Squash with Walnuts and Cranberries
With just a few simple ingredients you can make this recipe in just under an hour. You will need:
- Acorn Squash
- Vegan Margarine
- Brown Sugar, Maple Syrup or sweetener of your choosing
The first thing you’ll want to do is wash the squash before cutting it. Then, with a very sharp knife, slice it in half and then into quarters. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds.
You could always roast those at 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes if you have enough or are making multiple squash. Just wash them, spray with just a touch of olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt or for a little variety, you could add some spices such as chili powder or even cinnamon sugar. Get creative! They make a delicious little snack.
Now that your squash is cut into wedges, add a dab of vegan margarine, season with salt and pepper and give a generous sprinkle of brown sugar. You could also use maple syrup or any other sugary sweetener of your choosing.
Roast until fork tender, about 30-60 minutes. This will vary greatly depending on the size of your squash.
While you are waiting for the squash to roast, let’s prepare the walnuts. You want to chop these pretty finely. No one wants to bite into a big chunk of walnut!
In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, add more vegan margarine, the walnuts and cranberries.
Once it begins to bubble, spoon over the squash. Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe for Roasted Acorn Squash with Walnuts and Cranberries? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you thought!
Roasted Acorn Squash with Walnuts and Cranberries
- Baking Dish
- 1 large Acorn Squash washed, cut into quarters, seeds and excess pulp removed
- 1 to 2 tbsp Vegan Margarine divided between squash quarters
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar divided between squash quarters
- Salt & Pepper to taste
FOR THE CRANBERRY WALNUT TOPPING:
- 3 tbsp Vegan Margarine melted
- 2 tbsp Dried Cranberries
- 2 tbsp Walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and cut squash into quarters, removing the seeds and excess pulp with a spoon. Arrange in baking dish.
- Season the squash with salt and pepper. Place dabs of vegan margarine and a sprinkling of brown sugar, dividing equally among the squash.
- Bake until fork tender, about 30-60 minutes, depending on the size of your squash quarters.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, add the reserved vegan margarine. To the melted vegan margarine, add the dried cranberries and chopped walnuts. Cook over medium high heat just until the margarine bubbles. Pour over squash.