I loved preparing this recipe for Everything But The Bagel Kale Chips for you! What better way to spruce up kale chips than to season them with the traditional Everything Bagel Seasoning (recipe below).
I was lucky enough to find both purple and curly green kale, but any kale works for this recipe. I did find that the green curly kale held up just slightly better after baking. The purple is a little softer and more tender.
The first step is to remove the tough stems of the kale. Just make a slice on either side and discard the stem.
Next, tear the leaves into bite sized pieces BUT larger than you may think because they will shrink during baking.
Give the kale a good rinse…
And pop the top on the top of your salad spinner. This step is SUPER important!
It took me three times through the salad spinner to get them this dry. If they are moist, your oil and seasonings won’t stick. It will also create steam in the oven and we want crispy kale chips.
Next up is the oil. You don’t need very much, just enough to coat the leaves. Start slow.
Before we add the seasonings though, we need to massage the kale leaves for about 1-2 minutes.
Everything BUT The Bagel Seasoning:
Now it’s time to make the Everything But The Bagel Seasoning and it’s super simple. The recipe is in the card at the bottom of this post. It contains:
- White Sesame Seeds
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Onion Flakes
- Garlic Flakes
- Poppy Seeds
- Sea Salt
Whisk together and you are ready to season the kale chips!
Add the seasoning directly to the bowl of kale that you have just both oiled and massaged.
Toss to coat. I find two spoons (or salad forks) works best for this. If you use your hands, all of the seasoning tends to stick to you and not the kale 🙂
Now place onto a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and make sure there is plenty of room between them. Again, we don’t want them to steam – we want crisp!
Into the oven they go for about 7-10 minutes or until dried and crunchy.
This recipe makes one personal sized serving (about 1-1/2 cups), but feel free to double, triple – even quadruple the recipe for a crowd 🙂
If you enjoyed this recipe, why not PIN IT FOR LATER! 🙂
Everything But The Bagel Kale Chips
EVERYTHING BUT THE BAGEL SEASONING:
- 1 tbsp White Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 3/4 tsp Onion Flakes not powder
- 3/4 tsp Garlic Flakes not powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt or more to taste
- 1 large Bunch of Kale
- 1 tbsp Oil of your choosing
- Whisk together the ingredients for the Everything But The Bagel Seasoning.
- Wash and spin the kale dry.
- Add oil and massage for 1-2 minutes using your fingers.
- Add the seasoning and using two spoons (or salad forks) toss well to coat.
- Place onto a lined baking sheet ensuring enough space between them so they become crisp.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes or until dry and crunchy.
- Serve immediately or store in a covered container for several days.