I am already dreaming about spring with this Couscous Salad with Basil Vinaigrette. I love the simplicity and what you can’t really see from this photo, is that the basil vinaigrette turns the couscous a lovely pale green color. Everything is fresh…petite green peas, parsley and of course, the basil that we made our dressing with. Add to that walnuts (or pecans, if you prefer), maybe some feta cheese (or the vegan variety if you can find it).
I am not too big a fan of replacement products (i.e. the “vegan versions”), but I will say that the cheeses have come a long way since I began this way of living. Tofutti’s Better Than Cream cheese is perfect for infusing with herbs and for use in place of the vegan feta if you can’t find it. Not sponsored or affiliated, just a fan of the product 🙂
You’ll find the recipe for my Basil Vinaigrette here. I left it a big chunky and I love seeing the little pieces of basil in there, but you can also choose to puree it completely.
Dried cranberries would be a lovely addition to this salad. Or even fresh pomegranate arils, if they are in season. You’ll find these in the refrigerated section near bottled juices and fruits.
Did you make this recipe for Couscous Salad with Basil Vinaigrette? Leave a comment below and let me know what you thought!
*Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. Clicking on them does not affect your purchase price, it just means we get a very small percentage that assists in keeping Living Vegan! creating new recipes for you each week.
FOR THE COUSCOUS:
- 1 10 oz. Box of Couscous (or equivalent) prepared using broth, not water
- 2 c Broth
- 1 tbsp Vegan Margarine
- pinch Salt optional
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- 1 c Fresh or Frozen Peas blanched, then immediately cooled in an ice bath
- 1/2 c Parsley chopped
- 1/2 c Walnuts chopped
- 1/4 c Dried Cranberries or Pomegranate Arils optional
- 1/4 c crumbled Vegan Feta Cheese optional
- Lemons for serving
- Basil Vinaigrette see post for link to recipe
- Prepare the couscous and fluff with a fork.
- Add the peas and parsley, (and dried cranberries or pomegranate arils if using), toss to combine.
- Stir in as much of the basil vinaigrette as you'd like.
- Finish off with the vegan feta and walnuts or pecans.
- Season with salt and pepper, as needed.